1. University of Pittsburg, Medical Center
The University Of Pittsburg Medical Center was founded in 1893.
It is a not for profit health enterprise. The University of Pittsburg is the academic partner of UPMC. It has over 62,000 staff employed in 21 hospitals. These hospitals have more than 5100 beds. This integrated global health enterprise that has over 400 clinical locations that include outpatient sites as well as doctors’ offices. It has a member health insurance division worth 2.3 million. Apart from this it also has commercial and international ventures. UPMC was also ranked 10 among the best hospitals by US News & World Report.
The flagship facility of the medical center is the Presbyterian Hospital which was established in 1893. The University of Pittsburg provided the Presbyterian Hospital with a portion of its land to construct a new hospital which was started in 1938. In 1949 a three tired mission was established which included patient care, education and research. The hospital name was also changed to Presbyterian University Hospital. This was done in order to reflect its association with the University of Pittsburg. The name was later changed in 1958 to ‘University of Pittsburg Health Center’ which comprised of Schools of Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy, Dentistry and Graduate School of Public Health; the Presbyterian, Woman’s, Children’s, Eye and Ear and Magee Hospitals; the Falk Clinic, Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic, Child Guidance Center, Salk hall.
A number of notable physicians and researchers have been associated with UPMC. The most renowned among them are Jonas Salk who is known to have developed the vaccine for polio and Thomas Starzl who perfected the organ transplantation at this University.
The headquarters of UPMC are located in U.S. Steel Tower in Pittsburgh’s Central Business District. It is closely affiliated with the University of Pittsburgh but is legally separate from it.
No. of beds: 5100
Annual outpatient visits: 3900000
2. The Cleveland Clinic, United States
The Cleveland Clinic is yet again not for profit organization that was founded in Ohio in the year 1921.
This organization has officially been given the title of the Cleveland Clinic Foundation popularly abbreviated as CCF. It is a multi-specialty academic medical center and has a number of affiliated facilities in Nevada, Florida, Ohio, Abu Dhabi and Canada. One of the major founding purposes of this organization is to integrate hospital and clinical care with research and education. This clinic is visited by nearly 5.1 million patients every year. It has a network of more than 3000 physicians and scientists devoted sincerely to serve all these patients.
The Cleveland Clinic was founded by four physicians. Their vision was to establish a group practice where members could share their expertise and specialization and also to foster an academic culture through innovation driven medical procedures. During the period from 1989 to 2004 the Cleveland Clinic increased the capacity of its buildings as well as doubled the number of patient visits. This was done by the addition of additional institute like the Cole Eye Institute, the Surgery Center, the Taussig Cancer Center, the Lerner Research Institute and a couple of hotels on the campus. All these efforts of the organization paid off and by 2005 CCF became the second largest private medical group in the United States. It had a big network of 1400 physicians employed in around 120 specialties and sub specialties. This network served nearly one million patients visiting the hospital for aid and treatment.
The Cleveland Clinic has also made a successful attempt for overseas expansion by opening the Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi in 2015. This is a phased opening and once the construction of this clinic gets completed it will become one of the largest medical centers in the Middle East.
No. of beds: 1440
Annual outpatient visits: 5900000
3. School of Medicine, Sichuan University
Sichuan University School of medicine, also known as the West China University of Medical Sciences (WCUMS) is a national university of the People’s Republic of China.
It is administered by the country’s Ministry of Education. Situated in Chengdu, Sichuan, this medical school was founded in 1914. It was merged with the Sichuan University in the year 2000. This school is notably one of the top 5 medical schools in China. It has five divisions- Maternity and Child Hygiene, Clinical Medicine, Clinical Medicine, Allied Health Professions, Laboratory medicine and Higher Nursing Education.
It was also noted to be the only A rated school in China and also the only ‘evidence based medical center’ or Cochrane Center in Asia. The school has four hospitals affiliated with it. These are the West China Hospital, the Hospital of Stomatology, the Children’s and maternity hospital and the fourth university Hospital of Sichuan University.
The West China hospital is the largest hospital in the country. It has about 36 clinical departments, 25 open laboratories and 15 medical technology departments. It has about 6100 permanent staff which includes around 550 professors and associate professors. The West China Women’s and Children’s hospital comes under the immediate supervision of the country’s Ministry Of Health. Some of the notable centers of this hospital are the Prenatal Research Center, the China Birth Defect monitoring Center and the Emergency Center for children’s acute respiratory tract infection. It employs 406 staff members including 78 associate professors and 61 professors. In 2011 this hospital is noted to have performed 7600 deliveries and 22500 surgeries. The Hospital of Stomatology was established in 1985 and is the first of its kind in China. The number of outpatients served by this hospital annually is 400,000 while that of inpatients is 3000. The fourth hospital of Sichuan University was founded in 1917. Amongst all the medical universities in the country, it is the only specialized hospital for occupational diseases.
No. of beds: 4300
Annual outpatient visits: 400000
4. Chris Hani Baragwanath Hospital, Johannesburg, South Africa
The Chris Hani Baragwanath Hospital, Johannesburg is one of the largest hospitals in the world.
It occupies nearly 173 acres and has a total of around 3200 beds. The hospital is located in the Soweto area of the Johannesburg city of South Africa. With around 6760 staff members, this hospital is one of the 40 Gauteng provincial hospitals and is therefore run as well as financed by the Gauteng Provincial Health Authorities.
The history of the hospital dates back to 1941 when the Royal Imperial Hospital, Baragwanath was built in a place used for convalescing the Commonwealth and British soldiers. A hostel known as ‘The Wayside Inn’ was owned by John Albert Baragwanath during the late 19th century. This hostel was located near the hospital’s current location. It was noted by Field Marshal Jan Smuts that this facility would be used for the black population of the area once the war was over. After King George VI visited the hospital to present medals to the troops in 1947 this hospital began to be known as the Baragwanath hospital. The word ‘Baragwanath’ has a Cornish origin and means ‘Wheaten Bread’. Soon thereafter, the hospital earned the reputation of being the largest hospital in the entire Southern Hemisphere. The Baragwanath Hospital underwent another name change in the year 1997 when it was renamed as the Chris Hani Bragwanath Hospital. This was done in order to honour the leader of the South African Communist Party who was earlier assassinated in 1993.
The hospital now has grown into a sprawling facility with more than 2000 patients checking into the hospital’s out-patient departments and the specialized clinics daily. The Chris Hani Baragwanath Hospital is also a teaching for hospital for the University of Witswatersrand Medical School along with other hospitals like Helen Joseph Hospital, Charlotte Maxeke Johannesburg Academic Hospital and the Rahima Moosa Mother and Child Hospital.
No. of beds: 3200
Annual outpatient visits: 730000
5. Clinical Center of Serbia, Belgrade, Serbia
The Clinical Centre of Serbia is a unique medical institution which was formed as a result of merger of institutes and clinics of the Medical Faculty in Belgrade.
It came into existence on January 1, 1983. The Clinical Centre of Serbia is constituted of 28 institutes out of which 11 are surgical institutes and around 3500 beds. More than 30,000 interventions are performed by the institution every year. The employee strength of the hospital is more than 7500 including 1200 medical specialists and teaching staff. The Clinical Center of Serbia is located in Belgrade, the capital of Serbia. The Center is also known to be that biggest hospital in Europe.
The Department for Hospital Epidemiology of the Center was established in 2001 and is the only one engaged in infection control in Siberia. This department has 3 epidemiologists as well as 14 full time infection control nurses. This clinical center is a teaching infection control centers in the country while the Department of Hospital Epidemiology plays a leading role in the entire national infection control campaigns and activities. Apart from inflectional control activities, the Clinical Center of Serbia is also in charge of control of sterilization effectiveness, selection of disinfectants and vaccination of HCW for the cure of influenza (HBV).
Apart from providing highly specialized health care to the entire population of Belgrade and the entire region it also performs a number of educational activities. These include regular and postgraduate education along with advanced training and research and development in a number of nuclear related activities. The Institute for Nuclear medicine is one of the units of the Clinical Center of Siberia. This unit performs nearly 300,000 radiological and 30,000 nuclear related analyses annually. Every year the Center admits over 91,000 patients and also performs around 6 million laboratory services.
No. of beds: 3500
Annual outpatient visits: 25000
6. New York-Presbyterian Hospital (New York City)
The New York-Presbyterian Hospital is a major non-profit teaching hospital located in New York City.
It is a university hospital and is affiliated with two medical schools of Ivy League namely, Columbia University’s college of Physicians and Surgeons and Weill Cornell Medical College. With a total of 2478 beds, it is one of the largest hospitals in the United States. It is composed of two Medical centers namely, Weill Cornell Medical Center and Columbia University Medical Center.
The origins of this hospital date back to 1771 when the New York Hospital was founded by Samual Bard, an Edinburgh Graduate and is therefore the second oldest hospital in the USA after the Pennsylvania hospital which was founded in 1751. It became associated with the Weill Cornell Medical College upon its establishment in 1898. On the other hand the Presbyterian hospital was founded by James Lenox in 1868. James Lenox was associated with the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons. It was on January 1, 1998 that the New York hospital was merged with the Presbyterian hospital and the New York-Presbyterian Hospital came into existence.
The New York- Presbyterian Hospital provides a variety of services and is renowned for its cancer program. More than 48000 patients are admitted to this hospital and nearly 38500 inpatient and 39400 outpatient surgeries are performed every year. Also more than 13,700 births take place annually in this hospital. Adults as well as children in the psychiatric emergency receiving center, burn center and level I trauma center for the New York City are provided with emergency care 24 hours a day, seven days a week. This hospital also serves as an emergency transfer, receiving and stabilization center through its high risk neonatal transport service.
No. of beds: 2478
Annual outpatient visits: 1000000
7. Ahmedabad Civil Hospital, Ahmedabad India
The Ahmedabad City Hospital is noted to be the largest hospital in Asia.
Located in the city of Ahmedabad, it has facilities for specialized therapeutic, diagnostic and rehabilitative patient care. The entire complex is spread across 110 hectares of land and consists of a number of reputated and prestigious institutes as well as allied hospitals like the Gujarat Medical Council and the Gujarat Nursing Home. The Ahmedabad Civil hospital is also noted to be the oldest but at the same time the most modern hospital in India. It treats nearly 6 to 6.5 lac outdoor patients and admits around 70,000 patients annually. Approximately 26,000 surgeries and 6500 deliveries are performed annually in this hospital. A proposal has also been made to obtain the help of World Bank to increase the capacity of the hospital to 4800 beds. This plan is likely to add two new medical colleges that would in turn create 500 additional seats.
The Ahmedabad Civil hospital has a history of 160 years since its inception in 1841. Later some great figures of charity like Sheth Shri Hathisingh and Prembhai donated for free health services and treatment and as a result of which the Old Civil Hospital came into existence in 1858. The Ahmedabad Medical School was started in 1871. With the help of donations from renowned people and public a series of other facilities were also started. Another Medical School, now known as the BJ Medical College was started in 1879. In the same year a new block called ‘Wylie Ward’ was added. An eye hospital and an outdoor patients section were started in 1900. Later a Maternity Unit was also added. The Old Civil hospital was then shifted to the New Civil hospital in the Asarwa area of Ahmedabad on November 2, 1953. The present building was constructed by the Government for the treatment of the increasing number of patients.
No. of beds: 2000
Annual outpatient visits: 650000
8. Montefiore Medical Center
A teaching Hospital (University Hospital) of the Albert Einstein College of Medicine, the Montefiore Medical center is located in the Bronx, New York City in the United States.
It is a not for profit hospital which is also known to be one of the 50 largest employers in the New York State. This hospital provides a number of services for the residents of New York as well as other states. These services include Joint replacement, radiation therapy, cardiac surgery, spine surgery, organ transplant certified by Medicare and hyperbaric medicine.
The Montefoire Medical Center was founded in 1884 in Norwood. The leaders of the Jewish Community of New York made it the home for tuberculosis patients. The mane of the hospital was kept in the honor of Moses Montefiore. The Montefiore Medical Center is known to have established the first departments of home health care and social medicine in the United States. The hospital also established a new pediatric hospital called the Children’s Hospital at Montefiore abbreviated as CHAM. The hospital made history and topped the international headlines by separating the conjoined twins of the Philippines, Clarence and Carl Aguirre by performing a series of successful surgeries.
More than 85,000 inpatient stays are provided by the hospital annually. This figure also includes nearly 7000 births. Over 73,400 patients are admitted in the emergency rooms every year and there are more than 337,200 visits annually. The hospital notably performs approximately 17,500 inpatient surgeries per annum. The Emergency Department of the Montefiore Medical Center is also amongst the five busiest emergency departments in the United States.
The Montefiore Medical Center is a renowned teaching hospital and has a teaching cancer program of its own. It has an active involvement in specialty and subspecialty programs accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education.
No. of beds: 1490
Annual outpatient visits: 400000
9. Jackson Memorial Hospital, Miami, Florida, United States
The Jackson Memorial Hospital also abbreviated as the ‘JMH’ is a tertiary care non -profit hospital.
The JMH is the University hospital of the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine. This university is located in Miami, Florida in the United States. The Miami-Dae County owns and operates it through its Public Health Trust. The Miami-Dade County residents support the hospital through a half cent sales tax. Also the Civic Center Station and the Metrorail rapid transit system directly serve the Jackson Memorial hospital. Located close to the Civic Center of Miami, the Jackson Memorial Hospital complex consists of a number of medical centers and schools of medicine. Some of these medical centers are the Miami VA Medical Center and formerly known as the Cedars of the Lebanon Medical Center, the University of Miami Hospital.
The Jackson Memorial hospital is notably the third largest public hospital as well as the third largest teaching hospital in the United States. The hospital has a number research affiliates and laboratories. These include the National Parkinson Foundation and the Um/Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center .Other affiliates and include the Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, the Diabetes Research Foundation and Anne Bates Leach Eye Hospital. With beds totaling to 1550, this hospital is Miami-Dade’s the only Level 1 Adult and Pediatric Trauma Center, the Ryder Trauma Center.
The Jackson Memorial Hospital was first opened in 1918. It offers a wide variety of educational programs and services and is also a space for health related community services and clinical research. The Intensive care unit of this hospital has a 66-bed capacity and is known to be the largest intensive care unit in the whole state. The Jackson Memorial Hospital is also the only hospital in Florida that performs every kind of organ transplant.
No. of beds: 1550
Annual outpatient visits: 308500
10. Indiana University Health Methodist Hospital, Indianapolis
Located in the Indianapolis, United States, the Indiana University Heath Methodist Hospital is the largest hospital in the state of Indiana.
It is a part of the Indiana University Health and with 802-staffed beds it is also one the largest teaching hospitals in that area.
There is a number of treatment areas in which the hospital specializes. These include the adult cardiovascular services, neurosurgery, urology, organ transplantation, neurology, pediatrics and orthopedics. Various cutting edge technologies are used by the physicians at the Methodist Hospital. These include the Intraoperative MRI, the da Vinci surgical robot, Alaris Infusion pumps and RetCam. The hospital created history in 1965 when the first open heart surgery in Indiana was performed by the Methodist physicians and staff. The Life Line helicopter ambulances are staffed by the Methodist hospital. This hospital is also known to house the Indiana Poison Center. The Methodist hospital also happens to be the Indiana Motor Speedway’s official hospital. All the drivers that are injured on the Brickyard 400 or Indianapolis 500 are rushed to this hospital for their treatment. There are only two regional Level I Trauma Centers in the state of Indiana. The Methodist Hospital happens to be one of those two Level I Trauma Centers.
The Methodist hospital has received a number of awards and recognitions for its commitment to excellence in service. It has been ranked as the top hospital for safety and quality in the United States for four consecutive years from 2007 to 2011 by the University Health Consortium. The U.S News and World Report have also ranked it among the top 50 national programs in ‘America’s Best Hospitals’. In recognition of its high quality clinical outcomes and excellent nursing services, the Indiana University Health Methodist Hospital has been designated as a Magnet Hospital.
No. of beds: 802
Annual outpatient visits: 320600